Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Scones, glorious scones!

I've become a big fan of baking scones in the last year or so. I think it is because you can use frozen or cold butter and don't have to think far enough ahead to soften it. But, I like the texture and process of working with scone dough. And what could go better with a cup of coffee?

Today I have Whole Wheat Apricot Scones in the oven. I tried them over the weekend while my parents were visiting and we gobbled them up. I noticed today that I had quite a bit of half and half left and it just wouldn't do for it to spoil! They are made with whole wheat pastry flour, which gives them a hearty, yet light flavor. The dried, diced apricots get warm and soft in the oven.

If you check out that link, stay a while and read Orangette's blog. A friend passed it along to me months ago and it's so well written and fun to read. She has a great caramel corn recipe that I made a few times around Christmas. And her post on polenta reminded us that we had been meaning to figure out what the fuss is all about with polenta. Based on her suggestions and some of the links she posted we tried it both as a breakfast dish and leftover and fried for supper. It was so buttery and lovely. It has definitely found a place in our rotation now.

No comments: