Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Baby Surprise Jacket

A group of my friends and I started a knit-a-long using Elizabeth Zimmermann's Baby Surprise Jacket pattern. (Available at School House Press) We are lucky to have a leader who used to teach knitting classes and do piece work for a fancy smancy knitting boutique.

I have tried to knit several times before and could finish small items, like a dish cloth, but didn't develop an attachment to the process. It made a huge difference to have someone there offering suggestions and ideas as I got started. She had several tips that seemed to make knitting so much easier for me.

Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ) got its name because you just knit, knit, knit one big floppy shape. Once you are finished you fold it and sew the top of the arms and shoulders together. Surprise, it's a jacket!

This link shows what the project looks like right when it is finished.

And this is a picture I took today, with my sweater folded like it will be in the end. At this point I have about 20 rows left! I really can't believe I've gotten this far into the project and still really am enjoying what I'm doing!

No comments: