Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Knitting spaghetti

One night I was browsing around, looking at some of the knitting websites my knitting-instructor friend recommended, and I found a link with instructions for a Flying Spaghetti Monster.

I learned about the FSM from my sister-in-law and just happened to be thinking about birthday present ideas for her so I gave it a shot.

It looked simple, casting on and then off again to make the noodles and then knitting two round meatballs. The videos at this site were a clear way to learn the skills I hadn't tried before. This monster also gave me a reason to try felting a project - throwing it into a washing machine until it got nice and fuzzy. I was a bit scared that he'd either fall apart or clump into a big fuzzy ball, but it turned out to be a very easy process. I sewed the meatballs into place at the end and added his eyes.

Pre-felting

Post-felting

I plan to make another set of pasta and meatballs, perhaps with smaller needles to create thinner spaghetti, for our play kitchen.

1 comment:

Shelly Hattan said...

The FSM looks awsome! Great job!

As far as using smaller needles for thinner spaghetti - Felting needs loosely knitted yarn in order to properly felt. I've done a couple of felting projects and found this out first hand - the project just wouldn't felt nicely.

I suggest to use single strand instead of changing your needles.

Thanks for the link!

Sincerely,
Shelly