Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pasta!

R and I had some extra time in the kitchen this weekend while my parents were here and we broke out my pasta maker. I haven't used it in probably 10 years! We used Grandpa M's noodle recipe and they were delicious. It is a tradition to have them every year around Thanksgiving at Grandma and Grandpa M's house - freshly made and mixed with lots of butter.

I have a hand crank pasta machine and R did the majority of the cranking while I guided the pasta. It really goes smoothly with two people. The pasta machine takes care of the rolling and cutting - so it is a speedy process. I can see R and I trying out a few other types of fresh pasta this winter.

Grandpa M's noodles
  • 2 c. flour
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 to 1/2 c. water
Measure flour into bowl, add eggs and salt, mix. Add water 1 Tbsp. at a time. Mix to a stiff dough. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal parts and roll 1 part at a time into a paper thin rectangle. Roll rectangle around rolling pin. Slip out rolling pin and cut dough crosswise into 1/8th inch strips. Cook in boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes.

No comments: