Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pumpkin treats!

During the fall and winter I really like pumpkin baked goods. Today Joe, my 2 year old, helped me make pumpkin muffins while his sister watched TV. He hasn't really gotten a chance to help like that before, and I forgot what an exercise in patience it is to have that kind of help. But it is fun too and he was so excited to dump in measured ingredients, stir, and try the finished muffins.

Here are my top two favorite pumpkin recipes.

  • Pumpkin Scones (from www.joyofbaking.com) - I typically leave out the raisins and pecans. I also use plain milk instead of buttermilk and only use the egg wash about half the time. I do use the double pan method that the recipe suggests and the scones have a nice texture.


  • Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins (24 muffins) - a favorite at an on-line forum that I read
2 C. white flour
1 C. whole wheat flour
1 ½ C. sugar
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
½ tsp. allspice
½ tsp. salt
4 eggs
15 oz. can pumpkin
1 c. butter, melted
1 ½ c. chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs, stir in pumpkin, butter, and chocolate chips. Slowly add dry ingredients. Spoon into greased muffin tins.
Bake 20 – 25 minutes at 350 degrees

These muffins are delicious with any ratio of white to whole wheat flour. The more whole wheat flour used, the more hearty their flavor. I've had success using apple sauce for all or a portion of the butter, and I also have decreased the sugar at times. They are great for breakfast, but also snacks or dessert.

No comments: