Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas scarves

I finished 3 Christmas gifts this week!

1) The Colorwave scarf from Simple 1-2-3 Knitting for my Grandma. It was knit on size 8 straight needles and using fingering weight yarn (Crystal Palace Mini Mochi, 80% merino/20% nylon, Neptune colorway). I blocked this scarf, which I tend to avoid if I can, but I'm glad I did. It really opened up the holes in the pattern. It's deliciously soft and snuggly.


2) A Big Wool Ribbed scarf for my Grandpa. This was knit so quickly on huge size 17 needles. I used Lion Brand Wool-ease Thick and Quick in charcoal for this scarf and I just used 1 skein, although the pattern called for it to be longer. In November I used the same yarn, in Barley, to make the same pattern for my brother's birthday.


3) The Breckenridge Cowl is another Christmas gift. Another fast gift idea, as it is knit on size 15 needles and is only about 32" when it is finished. My mom was kind enough to grab this yarn for me from her local knitting shop (mine is an hour away from me!) and so it was chance that I seem to have used the same yarn as shown in the pattern's example! This was knit using almost exactly 2 skeins of Blue Sky Alpacas Bulky Naturals (50% alpaca/ 50% wool) in porcupine. This yarn really sheds and the finished product looks kind of fuzzy to me. I like it, but I'm not sure it reflects the cost of the yarn that went into it.

3 comments:

Carys said...

Those are gorgeous! You're so talented!!! I love that first one - it reminds me of peacock feathers!!!

kristine said...

Beautiful scarves. The cowl is goregous!

Jo said...

You learned to cable?! And look at the first scarf--I have no idea how to even attempt something so lacy. You've come so far--yay for knitting! If you get a chance, could you email me the pattern for the felted slippers/clogs that you made?