Last night I put the finishing touches on this hat that I made to match my daughter's scarf. This was my first attempt to knit in the round and this hat was an easy and quick project. I used a pattern I downloaded for free from Ravelry called rib-a-roni. (You need to be logged in to see the pattern.) I used size 7 circular needles and the magic loop method, since my cable was longer than the circumference of the hat.
The pom pom was easier than I expected. All the on-line directions I found said that it would be easy, but I really thought I'd end up with a big pile of yarn clippings. I followed the directions at this link.
I can't wait to see if it fits her!